DATA PRIVACY STATEMENT
Henry Schein, Inc. (Nasdaq: HSIC) is the world’s largest provider of health care solutions to office-based dental and medical practitioners, as well as serving health care systems, management services organizations, dental laboratories, government and institutional health care clinics, and other alternate care sites. Headquartered in Melville, N.Y., Henry Schein has operations or affiliates in 32 countries.
Henry Schein operates through a centralized and automated distribution network, with a large selection of branded products and Henry Schein private-brand products. The company also offers its customers innovative technology solutions, including practice management software and e-commerce solutions, as well as a broad range of financial services.
You can find our contact details at the last section of this policy.
At Henry Schein, Inc., your privacy is important to us. We process personal information in different contexts, and we do so by respecting your privacy, as part of our unwavering commitment to ethical and responsible practices and as required by law.
Henry Schein is committed to protecting personal information that our employees, customers, prospects, suppliers, and vendors have entrusted to us. We collect and use personal information in order to perform our business functions and provide quality health care products and services to our customers.
This Policy applies to personal information in any format or medium, relating to employees, customers, vendors and others who do business with Henry Schein.
We recognize personal information as any information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular individual or household. Depending on the context of your interactions with Henry Schein, we may collect and use different types of personal information from current and prospective employees, contractors, current and prospective customers and vendors.
|Categories of Personal Information Collected||Examples||Collected|
|A. Personal Identifiers.||A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, Social Security number, driver’s license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.||Yes|
|B. Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)).||A name, signature, Social Security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information. Some personal information included in this category may overlap with other categories.||Yes|
|C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.||Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information (including familial genetic information).||No|
|D. Commercial information.||Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.||Yes|
|E. Biometric information||Genetic, physiological, behavioral, and biological characteristics, or activity patterns used to extract a template or other identifier or identifying information, such as, fingerprints, faceprints, and voiceprints, iris or retina scans, keystroke, gait, or other physical patterns, and sleep, health, or exercise data.||No|
|F. Internet or other similar network activity||Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.
|G. Geolocation data||Physical location or movements.||Yes|
|H. Sensory data.||Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.||No|
|I. Professional or employment related information.||Current or past job history or performance evaluations.||Yes|
|J. Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99)).||Education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records.||No|
|K. Inferences drawn from other personal information.||Profile reflecting a person’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.||No|
Henry Schein receives and uses various types of personal information in order to conduct our day to day business activities. We apply the data minimization principle in the collection and use of personal information with the aim to only collect information that is necessary and by fair means and providing notice and requiring consent when necessary.
We may collect categories of personal information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Third party vendors
- Recruitment or talent agencies
- Our distributors
- When you browse, or use our website, e-commerce services, or social media pages
- Our business partners (non-vendors)
- Joint marketing partnerships
- Publicly-available non-government and government data
- Contractors (e.g., consultants, agents and representatives)
- Consumer reporting agencies
- Covered individuals’ email accounts, chat logs, social media accounts
- Covered individuals’ devices
- Directly from covered individuals
- From other individuals, such as friends or family
- Other Company entities
- Third parties (e.g. data brokers)
Some of this data is collected in the following situations when:
- You apply for a position, or to do business, with our company
- We establish a contractual employment or commercial relationship
- You provide us with any type of service, as a vendor
- When we provide you with any type of service, product or support
- When you browse, or use website, e-commerce services, or social media pages
The purposes for which we collect and use your personal information may vary depending on the type of relationship you have with us, such as if you are one of our employees, customers, or a website user. The use of personal information for new purposes should be consistent with and meet privacy expectations described in this policy, otherwise we will request your authorization.
Generally, we collect, use and disclose your personal information to provide you products and services and as otherwise related to the operation of our business. For more specific detail on our disclosures of personal information, see the next section “Sharing and Disclosures to Third Parties.” Subject to restrictions and obligations of applicable laws, Henry Schein and our vendors may use your personal information for some or all the following business purposes:
- Processing Interactions and Transactions
- Managing Interactions and Transactions
- Performing Services
- Research and Development
- Fulfilling regulatory requirements and Quality Assurance
In addition, we may collect, use and disclose your personal information for the following additional operational business purposes for which we are providing you notice as permitted by applicable law:
- Employees and candidates: if you apply for a job via our career center, we use your personal information to consider you for employment and to administer your account. If you have an employment or commercial relationship with Henry Schein, we use your personal information to develop our contractual relationship, to conduct performance evaluations and to comply with legal obligations, including tax and labor regulations.
- Customers: we use our customers’ information to maintain our commercial relationship, to ensure the proper operation of the day-to-day business, to comply with tax and other regulations, and to administer sales and marketing activities.
- Patients of our customers: we provide support services to our patients that use our health care products and services, when required.
- Prospective customers: information from prospective customers are used to respond to their requests for information, products or services, and for marketing activities.
- Vendors and suppliers: if you have a business or professional relationship with Henry Schein, we will use your information to develop and conduct our business relationship with you, and to comply with tax and other regulations.
- Visitors of company facilities: some of our buildings have physical access controls and video surveillance systems for security purposes.
- Website and social media users: we collect personal information from visitors and users of our website and social media pages. We use the information to manage your account registration, to store your preferences and settings, to provide interest-based advertising, to conduct statistics and to analyze how you use our website and online services.
Henry Schein shall use personal information for purposes disclosed above. To the extent required by law, Henry Schein shall inform the individual if their personal information will be used for an additional purpose, and this disclosure shall occur prior to the data being so used, and the individual shall be given a mechanism to provide their consent.
As permitted by applicable law, we do not treat deidentified data or aggregate customer information as personal information and we reserve the right to convert, or permit others to convert, your personal information into deidentified data or aggregate consumer information. We have no obligation to re-identify such information to respond to your requests.
Our customers may engage service providers or subcontractors to enable them to perform services on our behalf. This sub-processing is, for purposes of clarity, an additional business purpose for which we are providing you notice.
In addition, we may collect, use and disclose your personal information as required or permitted by applicable law.
At times, Henry Schein engages third party contractors, service providers, and other vendors to help us accomplish our business objectives. When Henry Schein discloses personal information for a business purpose, we enter a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract. There are other circumstances where we are required by law to disclose personal information to third parties such as public authorities.
Disclosures for Business Purposes:
In the preceding twelve (12) months, Henry Schein may have disclosed the following categories of personal information for a business purpose:
- Personal Identifiers;
- Personal Information Records;
- Commercial Information;
- Internet Usage Information;
- Geolocation Data;
- Professional or Employment Information;
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in our other privacy notices, we restrict use of your personal information shared with our vendors to business purposes.
[ In the calendar year 2019, we have not sold your personal information (as the term “sold” is defined by the California Consumer Protection Act).]
We may disclose your personal information for a business purpose to the following categories of third parties:
- Our subsidiaries and affiliates
- Third parties to whom you authorize us to disclose your personal information in connection with products or services we provide to you
- B2B Customers
- Business Partners
- Customer Service Representatives
- Executive/ Board of Directors
- External Agencies
- External Auditors
- Finance/Accounting Teams
- Internal Auditors
- Internal Employees on need to know basis
- Legal, Compliance and Regulatory-Quality Teams
- Operations/Maintenance Teams
- Public Authorities/ Government Bodies
- Sales/Marketing Teams, representatives or agents
- Service Providers and Vendors, such as for advertising or marketing purposes, internet service providers, data analytic providers, operating systems and platforms, and social networks
- Trade Unions/Work Councils
In the preceding twelve (12) months, Henry Schein may have disclosed personal information for the following business purposes:
- Processing Interactions and Transactions
- Managing Interactions and Transactions
- Performing Services
- Research and Development
- Fulfilling regulatory requirements and Quality Assurance
We engage with third party contractors, service providers and other vendors for certain services. If the engagement involves the transmission of personal information, Henry Schein directs the service provider to treat that data consistent with legal requirements. A contract to protect the personal information should be executed before any data is disclosed.
In certain circumstances, Henry Schein may be required to disclose personal information when required by law, when required to protect our legal rights, or in an emergency situation where the health or security of an individual is endangered.
We may also disclose personal information in the context of any sale or transaction involving all or a portion of the business.
7. Our Policy Towards Children
Our services are not directed to children. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with personal information without their consent, please contact us. If we become aware that a child has registered for a service and has provided us with personal information, we will delete such information from our files.
Henry Schein is committed to security, confidentiality and integrity of personal information in accordance with legal requirements. We take commercially reasonable precautions to keep personal information secure against unauthorized access and use and we periodically review our security measures. We are committed to processing your data in a secure manner and have put in place specific technical and organizational measures to prevent the personal information we hold from being accidentally or deliberately compromised. Our employees participate in a training and compliance program and are required to safeguard your information.
Henry Schein uses DigiCert, Inc. for its sites’ security certificates. Please be aware that these protection tools do not protect information that is not collected through our Web site, such as information provided to us by e-mail.
We also conduct information risk assessments, we train our staff to understand the importance of protecting personal information, and we are responsibly managing access rights within the company. We include both physical security and IT security in our overall data security approach. We are diligent in selecting vendors that process personal information on our behalf so that they also ensure appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect the data.
Henry Schein makes reasonable efforts to notify individuals and regulatory authorities, as required by law, if we reasonably believe that personal information has been stolen, disclosed, altered or infringed by an unauthorized person.
We also endorse the concept of privacy by design which is an approach to projects that promotes privacy and data protection compliance from the outset. This means considering the privacy and security implications for any new project or process throughout its lifecycle.
If you reside or otherwise find yourself in jurisdictions with data protection laws, Henry Schein is committed to supporting your rights granted by such applicable data protection laws. Otherwise you can us at any time to discuss your privacy concerns.
Under certain circumstances, you may have the privacy rights described in this section. Any request you submit to us is subject to an identification and verification process. We will not fulfill your request unless you have provided sufficient information for us to reasonably verify you are the individual about whom we collected personal information.
If you require this notice to be provided in a different format (e.g audio and ), please submit the request to Henry Schein by either:
- Calling us at 844-201-6329
- Visiting www.firstfit.com
If we cannot comply with a request, we will explain the reasons in our response. We will use personal information provided in a verifiable request only to verify your identity or authority to make the request and to track and document request responses.
We will make commercially reasonable efforts to identify personal information that we collect, process, store, disclose and otherwise use and to respond to your applicable privacy rights requests. In some cases, we may suggest that you receive the most recent or a summary of your personal information and give you the opportunity to elect whether you want the rest. We will typically not charge a fee to fully respond to your requests; provided, however, that we may charge a reasonable fee, or refuse to act upon a request, if your request is excessive, repetitive, unfounded or overly burdensome. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, or that we may refuse it, we will give you notice explaining why we made that decision. You will be provided a cost estimate and the opportunity to accept such fees before we will charge you for responding to your request.
Pursuant to applicable data protection laws, your privacy rights may include the following:
You may have the right to send us a request, no more than twice in a twelve-month period, for any of the following for the period that is 12 months prior to the request date:
- The categories of personal information we have collected about you.
- The categories of sources from which we collected your personal information.
- The business or commercial purposes for our collecting your personal information.
- The categories of third parties to whom we have shared your personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you.
- A list of the categories of personal information disclosed for a business purpose in the prior 12 months, or that no disclosure occurred.
- A list of the categories of personal information sold about you in the prior 12 months, or that no sale occurred. If we sold your personal information, we will explain:
- The categories of your personal information we have sold.
- The categories of third parties to which we sold personal information, by categories of personal information sold for each third party.
To make a request, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 1-800-472-4346.
Obtaining Copies of Personal Information:
You may have the right to obtain a copy, no more than twice in a twelve-month period, of your personal information that we have collected and are maintaining. To make a request, email us at email@example.com or call us at 1-800-472-4346.
Do Not Sell
We do not sell personal information.
We reserve the right to modify this Privacy Statement and related business practices at any time. We will duly inform you of any changes.
The time stamp you see on the policy will indicate the last date it was revised.
If you have any privacy concerns or questions about how your personal information is used, please feel free to contact us.
If you have any concerns or questions about how your personal information is used, please contact us at:
Henry Schein, Inc.
135 Duryea Road
Melville, NY 11747
Attn: Customer Service (W-150)